Criterion Introducing 4K NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
If like me you have been holding on tight to your Millennium Edition copy of Night of the Living Dead until the long rumored 4K restoration of the film comes to Criterion Blu Ray, I'm happy to report the wait is over!
Criterion Collection will be releasing a New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero for release on February 13th, 2018!
Besides the new restoration, we will also be treated to a new program of interviews with filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez, a set of never-before-seen 16 mm dailies, and most excitingly "Night of Anubis," a long lost work-print edit of the film that may contain additional scenes and has the potentiality of shedding on the long history of public domain issues that the film has been plagued with since its inception.
As an added bonus, arriving on the same day as "Night", is Jonathan Demme's classic procedural shock fest Silence of the Lambs with an all new 4K digital restoration (and really dope new cover art work).
Find all the details below for these two releases and make sure to pre-order your copy today from Criterion!
Night Of The Living Dead
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, co-screenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
- New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
- Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
- New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
- Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
- New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
- Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
Judith O’Dea, and more
- Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
- New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
- New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
- Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawan
Silence of the Lambs
- New 4K digital restoration, approved by director of photography Tak Fujimoto, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary from 1994 featuring director Jonathan Demme, actors Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, screenwriter Ted Tally, and former FBI agent John Douglas
- New interview with critic Maitland McDonagh
- Thirty-five minutes of deleted scenes
- Interview from 2005 with Demme and Foster
- Inside the Labyrinth, a 2001 documentary
- Page to Screen, a 2002 program about the adaptation
- Scoring “The Silence,” a 2004 interview program featuring composer Howard Shore
- Understanding the Madness, a 2008 program featuring interviews with retired FBI special agents
- Original behind-the-scenes featurette
- PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin along with, in the Blu-ray edition, a new introduction by Foster; an account of the origins of the character Hannibal Lecter by author Thomas Harris; and a 1991 interview with Demme